The gut is often referred to as our ‘second brain’ as it plays an enormous role in the functioning of every system in our body.
So, how does gut health relate to skin health?
– Elimination of toxins/wastes: If our digestion is not functioning correctly, the elimination of toxins and wastes (mainly via our bowels) will not be adequate. These excess toxins/wastes then try to make their way out via the largest organ system in our body – our skin!
– Absorption of vital skin nutrients: If our digestive system is not functioning at its full potential, all the wholefoods that we are nourishing ourselves with will not be absorbed properly resulting in becoming deficient in vitamins and minerals e.g. omega 3, magnesium, zinc, vitamins A, B and C.
– Stress-Gut-Skin: The process of going into a stress response takes all the energy and blood flow away from our gut and digestive system. When we are stressed, what we are eating will not be digested properly, nutrients will not be effectively absorbed, and toxins and wastes will not be eliminated properly – and that toxic build-up goes to our skin. Stress also causes our liver to convert carbohydrates to sugar leading to increased sugar circulating around the body – one of our skins’ worst enemies.
– Increased intestinal permeability (‘leaky gut’): The role of the gut wall is to allow the flow + absorption of all the vitamins and minerals from the gut to our blood stream, whilst preventing the absorption of nasty toxins. If our gut wall is ‘leaky’ it can struggle to prevent toxins, undigested food particles, waste products and bacteria from entering our blood stream, and consequently these circulate around our body, and are potentially eliminated through our skin.
– Gut bugs: Our gut is made up of good and bad bacteria. The domination of bad bacteria – a ‘dysbiotic’ gut – has been linked to skin health conditions such as acne and eczema.
Where there is gut inflammation, there will be skin inflammation. A healthier gut leads to a healthier skin profile, meaning our skin is more moisturised, hydrated and protected, leading to long lasting, glowing complexion!
Share this post